Cassia tora belongs to the wild crop variety and it is from Caesalpinaceae family and it is named from its genus Cassia. The seeds of this crop are rough and hard in nature and they stay excellent in productivity and quality. These are small in size and have shine appearance. They are further cleaned with the help of machine. There is different range of kernel available in nature and each has its own characteristics.
Cassia Tora L also called as Cassia Obtusifolia L grows in different climatic conditions like hot or wet and apart from the kernels the leaves, flowers and young fruits are also used for different consumable purposes. This crop has some important medicinal properties for which it is widely applied in pharmaceutical industry. In India it can be found in Tropical regions. The products of this crop are supplied in bulk from Indian states including Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
In Chinese this plant is called as Jue and the ripened seeds of sickle pod are used for cooling down body as it has naturally cooling capacity. Because of this reason this is considered to be an important ancient medicinal herb in China. Coming to the taste, it tastes bitter and salty. It has the power to boost eyesight and helps in removing intensive heat in human liver. It also moisturizes intestine and ease bowel movement and above all supports for weight reduction as well.
- It tastes bitter
- Stays salty in flavor
- Cold in nature
- Helps in regulation of liver, kidney and large intestine channels.
As far as industrial applications are concerned, the seeds are used as mordant in dyeing process. They are also used as substitute for coffee when fried and grounded. They are also used as protein feed for livestock and birds when dehydrated. This leguminous weed is grown as fodder for animals and added as an ingredient in the preparation of feed for carps in many Indian states.
Uses : Cassia tora is useful in many ways
- The roots are used as a medicine in treating snakebite
- The past of the ground in which this plant is grown and the dried root are applied for curing ringworm in Ayurvedic medication.
- Ripened seeds or sicklepods is a highly acknowledged ancient Chinese medicinal herb. In Ayurveda the pods are considered to contain great amount of laxatives, anthelmintics, opthalmics and expectorants.
- These are also used as asperients and purgatives and applied to regulate bowel movement and provide relaxation from constipation.
- Consuming sicklepods can help to fight skin problems like itch and psoriasis.
- The leaves are used in fresh and dried form in Northern Nigeria for treating ailments like ulcer, ring worm. It is also used to treat parasitic skin diseases.
- The leaf extract is found to contain anti-bacterial and anti-viral property for treating Newcastle Disease. It is also used to treat vaccinia virus.
- Apart from that the leaves of Chakvad contain natural pesticide and used in organic farms in India and cassia tora contains chrysophanic acid-9-anthrone which acts as effective fungicide.
- They also contain anthroquinones for which they are used in weak decoction in pediatric teething, constipation and fever treatment
- When used in combination with self-heal Spica Purnellae and Cape jasmine fruit it can provide excellent remedy for diseases like conjunctivitis and inflammation in conjunctiva (it is the mucous membrane present in the eyeball that lines the inner surface of eyelids and extends till the forepart of the eyeball).
- It can also be used to cure intolerance to light.
- It is also used in combination with vetch seed to Semen astragali complanati to treat blurred vision which is caused by Yin deficiency of liver and kidneys.
- For curing hyperlipemia also the sickle senna seed decoction is applied. It is a condition that results in excess of fat in lipids in blood.
The fresh seeds of this crop are found to have chrysophanol, aurantio-obtusin and vitamin A. Apart from that the anthrax-glucoside present in it helps to work out as effective laxative. When mixed with water it shows dermatomyces property and when infused with alcohol it shows the presence of harmful microorganisms like staphylococcus, bacillus coli, paratyphoid bacillus and bacillus diphtheriae.